by Miko Quisumbing
Category: On the bike snack
I love this recipe because it’s NO BAKE, which means more time to ride! I’m always trying to find little shortcuts that let me balance out Bike and Dad Life, and this is one of them!.I typically enjoy these between late fall to early spring since the cold weather helps to keep them solid. I typically have them as a pre or post ride treat, but if i’m carrying them during a ride I put them in my handlebar bag as a nice mid-ride snack.
The three base ingredients that help shape these little morsels are oatmeal, peanut butter, and honey, but I love this recipe because I can add ingredients based on what’s in the pantry or whatever i’m in the mood for. A good friend of mine who this recipe originated from would add flaxseed and vanilla, and had the genius idea of melting the honey and peanut butter first in order to make mixing even easier. Give it a try!
(makes about 15 jawns)
- 1 cup dry oatmeal
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (can toast for a good flavor!)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1. If you have time, combine PB and honey in a microwave safe bowl, heat and mix
- 2. Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl then fold thoroughly with a spatula or hand mix to get all the ingredients even
- 3. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and let it chill
- 4. After chilling time, take a tablespoon of mixed ingredients and roll into a ball. If they are not forming well you can add more PB or honey as desired until you get the desired consistency. I pack them real tight!
- 5. Store whatever you haven’t eaten in the fridge, or if you made too many, you can freeze them for later.