By Kathleen “Taffy” Medley
Category: Anytime nourishment!
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, picked
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock**
- 7 oz/200g dry egg noodles***
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk
- Salt and pepper
For garnish: Parsley & Parmesan cheese (or something similar)****
**Use a good quality vegetable stock or ‘Better than Bouillon No Beef Vegetarian’ or ‘Organic Vegetable Base’).
***I use an extra wide whole grain yoke-free noodle pasta. For a vegan option, use pappardelle noodles.
****Note: Imported Parmesan cheese is animal-based rennet. If you wish to avoid this, look for a hard Italian cheese labelled as “vegetarian friendly”. For a vegan option, use a non-dairy parmesan cheese substitute.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a rapid boil.
- Empty noodles onto boiling water.
- Cook 8-10 minutes uncovered, until slightly tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in large skillet (or pot) over medium-high heat.
- While the pot heats, dice onion.
- Cook onion for 6 minutes or until it’s slightly golden brown on the edges.
- Cut the ends off the mushrooms and slice.
- Add mushrooms to the pot and cook for 8 minutes or until mushrooms have released are golden brown. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, minced garlic and fresh thyme leaves to the pot. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and mix well until vegetables are coated evenly, then add vegetable stock.
- Scrape any brown bits off the pan and stir well.
- Bring liquid back to a boil.
- Once boiling, add noodles and non-dairy milk.
- Use spoon to distribute the noodles so they’re fully covered with liquid. Stir every couple minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the mixture and stir often.
- If noodles need more liquid, add extra stock in very small increments.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately and garnish with chopped parsley and cheese of your choice.